The demand for software testers is increasing every day and the amount of investments and innovation is growing rapidly. As per the latest report, the market size of software testing was somewhere around USD 40 Billion (in 2021) and is going to take a leap of 6% CAGR between 2022 – 2030 on account of building robust software for data security and safety.
Top IT firms like TCS, Cognizant, IBM, Wipro, etc. are continuously working on different methodologies to get their strong grip over the market and that’s why holding a software testing certification becomes necessary to ignite your career and stand apart from the crowd by gaining prominent certifications.
ISTQB or International Software Testing Qualifications Board is a well-known software testing program that’s perfectly created for software testers. This certification is accepted globally who wish to enhance their technical skills and make themselves stand apart. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the major key pointers about ISTQB certification and will explain why is it suitable for you and how you can apply, So, let’s begin.
ISTQB certification helps software testers in multiway and prepares them to boost their testing knowledge. This definitely helps each individual to take a leap in their career especially during promotions or while applying at any MNC. ISTQB certification has several levels of examinations, the list entails:
ISTQB Certification – Core
- Certified Tester Foundation Level
- Test Analyst
- Test Manager
- Technical Test Analyst
*Eligibility Criteria (for Bachelor’s Degree)
- Foundation Level Clearance
- 24 Months of Testing Experience in IT, Testing,
ISTQB Certification – Agile
- Agile Tester – Foundation
- Agile Test Leadership at Scale – Advanced
- Agile Technical Tester – Advanced
ISTQB Certification – Expert
- Improving the Test Process – Assessing Test Processes
- Improving the Test Process – Implementing Test Process Improvement
- Test Management – Strategic Test Management (Expert)
- Test Management – Operational Test Management (Expert)
- Test Management – Managing the Test Team (Expert)
Benefits of ISTQB Certification
This certification is being created in such a way that each successful participant gains the required skills and knowledge along with the certification of the “ISTQB-Certified-Tester” which holds major key benefits to ace their software testing career. Let’s check out the 5 major key benefits of ISTQB certification.
1. Boost in Career
ISTQB certification course plays a crucial part in your career when your aim is to reach new heights in software testing. ISTQB certification training help in building fundamentals and techniques that is being used for solving real-life issues. Even most of the MNCs consider those candidates who carry software testing ISTQB certification as compared to non-certified candidates. There’s no wrong in saying that a candidate holding high merits and degree vs a candidate who doesn’t possess an IT degree is more inclined towards scaling up their career.
Although it is not mandatory to take the ISTQB certification path to build a career in software testing as we discussed above, many organization wants to hire highly skilled professional especially people with certification for both promotion and salary increment.
As per recent stats, the average salary of ISTQB-certified professional ranges between INR 15LPA – INR 40LPA (and above) and USD 110k – USD 210k, and this itself states how this certification gives confidence to employers for appraising skillful employees.
3. Gain Global Acceptance
The best part about doing ISTQB certification is its ability to offer global acceptance by providing the global standard which means once you’re certified, you can move to any oversea place to start working as a Software Tester.
Besides the fact that ISTQB certification offers millions of certifications every year across the globe where you can give multiple attempts in different countries and too in multiple languages.
4. Improved SDLC
If you are going to ask whether the ISTQB certification is worth it then the answer is a definite YES. Let’s narrow it down, during an SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle), during the development phase, it is critical to have accurate knowledge of software testing which leads to the smooth execution of the whole process. A report suggests that 30% of developers spend about 12 hours and above fixing all the bugs and issues. This brings down the overall development cycle speed and affects the tentative delivery. That’s where having a highly skilled software testing professional becomes necessary to keep up the pace.
ISTQB-certified professionals possess the skillset to work in such a way that it doesn’t harm the product even after delivery and eventually increases the ROI for the company.
5. Become Class-Apart
ISTQB certification has been crafted in such a way that it majorly focuses on solving real-life issues from each phase (Agile, Performance Testing, etc.). Moreover, this certification gives an opportunity to stand apart from the crowd, and adding up this to your CV may increase your chances of getting hired at top MNCs.
Even employers give priority to those applicants having ISTQB certifications like these during performance appraisals over those without it.
How to Apply for ISTQB Certification?
Below are the basic steps to follow for applying for ISTQB certification, let’s have a look:
2. Select the ISTQB exam dates and TEST CENTER for your city
3. Complete the enrollment form along with all the required details
4. Further instructions will be sent immediately to your provided Email ID
* Indian Testing board offers exams via Talent Decrypt and PearsonVue Online Proctor
- The course fee for the Foundation level exam (CTFL) is currently Rs. 6254 (including GST – Talent Decrypt) & INR 7434 (including GST – PearsonVue) for remote exam, – 1st attempt. For Test center Rs. 5664 (including GST – PearsonVue), and for paper Rs. 5664 (including GST).
- The course fee for the Foundation level exam (CTFL) is currently Rs. 4130 (including GST – Talent Decrypt) & INR 5900 (including GST – PearsonVue) for remote exam, – 2nd attempt. For Test center Rs. 4130 (including GST – PearsonVue), and for paper Rs. 4130 (including GST).
- The course fee for the All Advanced level exam (CTAL) is currently Rs. 6844 (including GST – Talent Decrypt) & INR 5644 (including GST – Paper) – 1st attempt.
- The course fee for the All Advanced level exam (CTAL) is currently Rs. 4720 (including GST – Talent Decrypt) & INR 4130 (including GST – online mode) – 2nd attempt.
- The course fee for the All specialist exam is currently Rs. 7434 (including GST – Talent Decrypt) & INR 7434 (including GST – Paper) – 1st attempt.
- The course fee for the All specialist exam is currently Rs. 4720 for Remote online (including GST – Talent Decrypt) – 2nd attempt.
5. Prepare a Demand Draft (DD) with the desired amount – Software Testing Certification Board, New Delhi to the registered address in Noida or Bangalore. Ensure to add adequate details (such as contact details, registration number, etc.) along with the DD.
6. You will then receive the TIME and DATE for the selected exam and ensure to appear for the same.
7. Ensure to carry a photo identity card like a Driving License, Aadhar card, etc. while appearing for the exam
* For any other details, you can reach out to the official mail ID.