National Good Samaritan Day, which is observed on March 13 every year, honors people who never step back from helping others.
Good Samaritans are individuals who help anyone who is in trouble, sometimes even at the risk of their own lives. Many of these selfless heroes also provide assistance in simple ways, and though these small acts may seem inconsequential to some, they may be life-changing for those in need.
Since it isn’t a specially designated role, any person who fights for a cause that will benefit others or does a random act of kindness can be a Good Samaritan.
The term “Good Samaritan” is derived from “The Parable of the Good Samaritan,” which can be found in Luke 10:25-37 of the Bible. In it, Jesus told a story of a traveler who was attacked by thieves. He was stripped of his clothes, beaten so badly and abandoned half-dead. Several people passed by, but none of them bothered to help him. Eventually, he was seen by a Samaritan who then took pity on him. The Samaritan cared for the man, even taking him to an inn where he could recover from his injuries.
This National Good Samaritan Day, let’s take a look at some quotes that would inspire us to do random acts of kindness, especially at a time when things are tough for many people around the world. (Courtesy: Goodreads, Quotlr and Random Acts of Kindness Foundation)
- “Be nice to people… maybe it’ll be unappreciated, unreciprocated, or ignored, but spread the love anyway. We rise by lifting others.” – Germany Kent
- “A Spiritual Samaritan lives knowing that if we were to leave this world tomorrow, we were the best humans we could be and we touched the lives of as many souls as possible. We are not asked to be perfect. We are asked to make a difference.” – Molly Friedenfeld
- “I’m just trying to do my part to save the world.” – J. Cornell Micheal
- “A Good Samaritan is generally a nobody before and after the good deed.” – Amit Abraham
- “Like the Good Samaritan, may we not be ashamed of touching the wounds of those who suffer, but try to heal them with concrete acts of love.” – Pope Francis
- “A Good Samaritan is not simply one whose heart is touched in an immediate act of care and charity, but one who provides a system of sustained care.” – James A. Forbes
- “It is at times such as this that we show our true spirit of giving and of brotherhood – of revealing the Good Samaritan in all of us.” – Jo Bonner
- “How do we change the world? One random act of kindness at a time.” – Morgan Freeman
- “I learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.” – Abraham Joshua Heschel
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop