“She ran towards us screaming and saying rudely that she had to wash her hands,” Mdm Lim told CNA. He told that his daughter was worried about her unborn child.
Mdm Lim and her family then visited the emergency department of Gleneagles Hospital. The bill came to S$1,152.06.
After this, she consulted a gynecologist on Monday. She was prescribed antibiotics and probiotics because of the risk of contamination from rodents and the potential for leptospirosis.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals, and can cause a variety of symptoms. Complications include kidney damage and liver failure.
In a medical memo seen by CNA, the doctor confirmed the well-being of both the fetus and the mother at the time of review (November 27).
Tangs offers gift cards and hampers
On Saturday, the day of the incident, a Tangs duty manager apologized to the store for what happened. Later that evening, the Tangs asked Mdm Lim for her home address where the “wellness hamper” could be sent.
In response, Mdm Lim said: “We don’t want welfare disruption. We want to know how the Tangs will resolve this matter.”
In subsequent messages, the Tangs also offered a gift card and requested receipts for hospital bills.
“To show our sincere apologies, we would like to present you with a S$200 Tangs gift card to compensate for the inconvenience caused by the incident,” the company’s duty manager said via WhatsApp on Monday. “For medical bills related to the incident, please send us receipts for our follow-up.”
It was unclear whether this was an offer by the Tangs to pay medical bills.
The gift card offer did not sit well with Mdm Lim.
He responded, “For Tangs management to dismiss the event with a $200 voucher to cover our out-of-pocket (expenses) and vacation days is an insult to us.”
“Tangs management is telling us that we will have to pay for their failure to maintain proper food safety in the food court. This is unfair to any common man. We are completely surprised.”
Speaking to CNA on Tuesday, Mdm Lim said: “TANGS cannot expect us to pay, for an incident that was completely negligent… money from my own pocket for medical fees and other indirect costs. I will take it out.”
He noted that the money was spent on parking fees and the need to use annual leave to visit the hospital with his daughter.
“The theory behind it is wrong,” he said.
In a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, Tangs confirmed the sighting of a rat on a food tray at the Tangs Market food court on Saturday (November 25) at around 2.55pm.
The company said “affected customers sitting around the incident were taken care of” but made no mention of any interaction with Mdm Lim and her family.
CNA’s queries to Tang about his correspondence with Mdm Lim went unanswered.
The company said in its statement that the incident was “tragic and unacceptable” and announced one day closure of food court for cleaning and sanitation works.