Steven Spielberg has broken his silence on the Hamas terrorist attack on Israel on October 7.
In a statement shared by the USC Shoah Foundationfounded by Spielberg in 1994, the Oscar-winning filmmaker said: “I never imagined I would see such indescribable barbarity against Jews in my lifetime. »
His comments come as the organization continues its initiative to collect testimonies from survivors of the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas and from survivors and witnesses of the Holocaust.
“The USC Shoah Foundation team is leading an effort that will ensure that the voices of survivors act as a powerful tool to counter the dangerous rise of anti-Semitism and hatred,” Spielberg said.
The director noted that “both initiatives…seek to fulfill our promise to survivors: that their stories be recorded and shared as part of efforts to preserve history and work toward a world free of anti-Semitism and hatred of any kind.” sort. We must remain united and firm in these efforts.
As part of the Countering Antisemitism Through Testimony Collection initiative, a project that documents post-Holocaust antisemitism, the USC Shoah Foundation has spoken to several survivors, including recently the wife of filmmaker Yahav Winner, who was killed during the attack of October 7.
Shaylee Atary Winner recounted the moment she ran away from home with her 4-week-old daughter as husband, director of The boyrepelled a Hamas terrorist who attempted to break into their safe.
After sheltering in a garden shed, Shaylee said she and her daughter eventually found shelter in a neighbor’s safe room and were rescued more than a day later. But Shaylee later learned that Yahav had been killed in the attack.
“When I was with Shaya in the shed, I said to myself, ‘Shaylee, think about the Holocaust movies. What would a mother and baby do? Because that’s how I felt,” she said. “I felt like they were chasing me and Shaya, like she was prey. …No usual situation in my usual reality could be even close to what we (experienced).”